BON Course Syllabus for Foundations of Nursing Practice Including Professional Adjustment
Board of Nursing (BON)
Foundations of Nursing Practice Including Professional Adjustment
Theories, concepts, principles and processes basic to the practice of nursing.
II. Terminal Competencies
1. Utilizes the nursing process in the care of individuals, families and communities.
2. Communicates effectively with patients/clients, families as well as other members of the health team in various settings.
3. Demonstrates leadership and management skills to ensure safe and quality nursing care.
4. Relates effectively with others in work situations.
5. Utilizes concepts, theories, principles in the care of clients.
6. Ensures a well-organized, accurate recording and reporting system.
7. Participates in research activities and utilizes research findings to improve nursing practice.
8. Observes ethico-moral values and legal responsibilities in nursing care.
9. Assumes responsibility for personal and professional growth.
III. Content Outline
1. Professional Nursing
A. Historical perspectives in nursing
B. Nursing as a profession
C. Theories in nursing
D. Health care delivery system
2. Health and Illness Behavior
A. Man as a biopsycho-socio-cultural-spiritual being
B. Factors influencing health and illness
C. Risk factors
D. Adaptation to stress and anxiety
E. Life span, cycle and development
3. Interactive Processes
A. Nurse-client relationship
B. Teaching learning process
E. Therapeutic use of self
4. Safety, Comfort and Hygiene
B. Management of pain
D. Mobility and immobility
E. Skin integrity
F. Sensory alteration
G. Substance abuse
5. Basic Physiological Needs
C. Rest and sleep
D. Fluid and electrolyte balance
E. Urinary elimination
F. Bowel elimination
G. Activity and exercise
6. Basic Psychosocial Needs
A. Safety and security
B. Love and belonging
C. Spiritual needs
D. Sexuality and sexual needs
E. Self concept
F. Death, grief and grieving
G. Sensory deprivation and body image
H. Crisis intervention
7. Basic Nursing Skills
A. Nursing process
B. Admission and discharge
C. Vital signs
D. Physical examination and health assessment
E. Administration of medications
F. Asepsis and infection control
G. Emergency measures
H. Wound care
I. Care of the dying and the dead
J. Perioperative care
8. Ethico-legal Aspects
A. Nursing ethics
B. Legal aspects in the practice of nursing
C. The Philippine Nursing Law
D. Related laws affecting the practice of nursing
E. Continuing education for nurses
F. Professional organizations of nursing
9. Management and Leadership
A. Theories and principles of management
B. Standards of nursing practice
C. Elements of administration and management/functions of management
D. Leadership style
G. Patient Care Classification System
H. Patterns/modalities of nursing care
10. Basic Research
A. Ethics and scientific research
B. The scientific approach
C. Research process
D. Research design/methodology
E. Steps in doing research
Use of Information Policy: All content provided on this website is for informational purposes only. The administrator of this website makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this website or found by following any link on this website. The administrator will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information and for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
Disclaimer: Comments posted in this website are those of the readers and do not necessarily reflect the position of PND. PND does not knowingly publish false information and may not be held liable for the views of readers exercising their right to free expression.